Hate Doesn't Trump Love

Earlier today I was scrolling through Facebook, just casually looking through all of the different posts and things people were saying, much of it having to do with our current president, when a thought occurred to me.  This is what came into my mind:  God still loves Trump.

This is a hard truth to face given our current circumstances- I know I struggle with it!  It's sad how we have to remind ourselves of this given how much hate is currently circulating.  But it doesn't excuse, even for a moment, what he's done, or might do, to our fellow humans.  A small part of me decided that I don't actually hate Trump- I think I actually feel sorry for him, kind of like what Harry Potter felt for Voldemort because Voldemort could never know love.

We talk about loving Trump's hate, but do we really?  We accuse others of not being "good Christians" while we ourselves are not.  We're hypocrites if we match hate for hate.  No one said loving your neighbor was easy.  I know I sometimes struggle, especially when our president is treating our fellow humans like pawns in a cold-hearted, pretty much business-like deal, signing executive orders that puts our neighbors, our friends, our families, and ourselves at risk.  It is not okay, what Trump has been signing orders to do.  At all.

But you know what?  I had another thought along with the first- I think God, as hard as it is for us to grasp or come to terms with, is especially fond of Trump.  Yeah, I said it.  God is likely very sad and perhaps angry with the choices and actions of Trump (I can't really say, because I'm not God.), but he still loves him.  That same unconditional love God gives each and every one of us is also given to Trump.  God is especially fond of each and every one of us.  It's something I learned while reading The Shack by William Paul Young yesterday.  It's something we all should remember in the midst of our current situation, no matter where we stand.  But I'm not saying it excuses Trump's actions.

It's never been "us versus them"- it's always been WE.

Comments

  1. THIS IS EXCELLENT AND RIGHT ON POINT! YOU HAVE SAID SOMETHING I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO ARTICULATE FOR MANY MONTHS! THANK YOU FOR STATING THE TRUTH. THANK YOU FOR YOUR BRAVERY AND CONFIDENCE:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute to Dad