The Washing of Feet and Yellow Daffodils



Today was Maundy Thursday.  It means different things to different people.  To me, it means preparation for what's to come, and also a living into vulnerability and relationship with others.

Tonight at Highlands we celebrated Maundy Thursday with the washing of feet.  This action is often considered to be fairly vulnerable. The person doing the washing of feet could be likened to Jesus, like when he washed his disciples feet.

There's something to be said in letting another person wash your feet, especially if you, like me, are on them much of the day.  Your feet could be dirty, smelly, and sore.  They could be tender or calloused.  They could be tired or energetic.  Washing feet is like a renewal- it washes off all the dirt and grime and messiness of the day.  It signifies a fresh start.  I think letting others wash our feet and in turn washing theirs helps us to be more like Jesus.  In doing this for one another none of us is greater than the other, for we are all equal and equally loved in God's eyes.

For this season of Lent I made the decision to be better at taking care of myself and reflected on the words, "Beloved, do you not know what God can do with ashes?".  I've lost track of how many times I have reminded myself of those words, and also how much they have meant as I've held onto them in the past month.  Much has felt like it's become like "ashes" but then I remember what can be done with ashes:  redemption, restoration, renewal, hope, forgiveness, and healing.  The washing of my feet tonight signified to me the washing away of all the grime and ash of the past while, and the anticipation of what is to come.  It was definitely a vulnerable experience as I sat there letting my feet be washed and reflecting.

I felt fairly raw with emotion as I left Highlands tonight and walked to Union Station to catch a train back home.  It was accented with a beautiful and glorious sunset setting the clouds aflame.  To me it was symbolizing renewal and healing after a difficult month.  Who knew that being intentional about taking care of oneself would be so challenging?

About a week ago I was sitting at my computer when I was struck with the strongest sense that I needed to sign up for the "I am" class that was held at Highlands after church this past Sunday.  I'm glad I did as it was something I think I desperately needed to be reminded of.  It was an exercise that I've actually done once before, when I first set foot in Denver almost three years ago.  Those of us who were there were instructed to go out and about until we found something that caught our eye.  We were then told to write down descriptive words of whatever it was that caught our attention.  Then, each of us took turns reading off what we'd written down to the group and they in turn wrote down some of the things on note cards.  Each was read back to us as a reflection of God in us, so to speak, because each of us are glorious in our own way and right.

The thing that caught my eye was yellow daffodils.  I wrote down, "bright, vibrant, yellow, blooming, graceful, beautiful, peaceful, thriving, just being, hopeful, smiles and laughter, natural, standing tall, green, alive, persevering, and resilient".  It was really cool to see what people chose to write down and read back to me, and it was a good reminder of who I am in God's eyes.  A quote was read called "Our Deepest Fear", something I've shared on here before.  I encourage anyone who hasn't read it or heard of it to look it up- it's powerful and profound.

What do yellow daffodils and Maundy Thursday have in common?  Both are reflections of the Divine and the Divine's love for us.  Foot washing is powerful and it reminds each of us of our humanity while daffodils remind us of the beauty of knowing our "I am's".  Jesus is called the great I Am.  Are we not also a reflection of the divine?  In all our glory and not so glorious moments we are very much so loved.  It's in our willingness to be vulnerable that we can truly experience this.  And that is a very beautiful thing.


"Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous?"  Actually, who are you not to be?  You are a child of God.  Your playing small does not serve the world...And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same.
(Exert from "Our Deepest Fear")


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute to Dad